Mike Phillips BIG 3-day detailing classes

Saving the original paint on a 1949 Dodge Wayfarer

Mike Phillips

Global Director of Training
Staff member
Saving the original paint on a 1949 Dodge Wayfarer

A gentleman reached out to me on the old geek forum and was able to find me via e-mail. I did my best to answer his questions and he's welcome to join this forum for more help.

Here's the pictures he sent,

full

full

full

full

My first recommendation is to STOP using any brand of iron remover on paint with exposed sheet metal. It will remove the rust but because the iron remover is leaving behind bare metal it's imply going to re-rust. This puts the paint in a Catch-22 cycle and the more you do this to paint and sheet metal this old the worse you're going to make things.

The paint on this old Plymouth is so thin the black primer is showing through in all the high wear areas. I have a Chevy truck that had this same thing going on.

The Number #7 Rub Down is really for old, original paint that is CHALKY in appearance - the paint on this car looks to have a hard shine. If it were mine, I would machine polish all the paint using 3D SPEED - which is famous for it's performance due to the abrasive technology used for this product. And whatever shine and gloss you're able to squeeze out of this antique paint - it's probably all you're going to get. Then the key is to MAINTAIN the results and this can be done by continuing to machine polish with the 3D SPEED. You can also maintain using the 3D Bead it Up, which is an awesome maintenance product for paint after it's machine polished.

The fact of the matter is - old single stage paint like on this 1949 Dodge is going to continually oxidize. Nothing you do will stop this oxidation process. Not even a ceramic coating. You can slow it down but not stop it. for this reason, this old saying comes to mind.

Find something you like and use it often

And this old saying will work with 3D SPEED. How often? once or twice a year should be good. Mostly for the horizontal surfaces as these are past the point of no return so they're going to need regular help.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I've worked on a LOT of single stage paint in my life and what I've shared aboe is the reality of it.

:)

Mike Phillips

Staff member
More...

Here's the link to the two 3D products I would use myself if this was my car.

3D SPEED

3D Bead it Up

The above links to the official 3D website where when you buy from the corporate site you're always guaranteed to get the freshest and guaranteed genuine product.

Thanks Mike this looks just like my 64 Impala.
Original paint from Chino, CA so it is a little cooked.
Of course I have Speed and Bead it Up in stock but will be going for gallons soon.

And Pink Car Soap.

Mike Phillips

Staff member
Thanks Mike this looks just like my 64 Impala.
Original paint from Chino, CA so it is a little cooked.
Of course I have Speed and Bead it Up in stock but will be going for gallons soon.

And Pink Car Soap.

What a cool car to own - especially with the original paint.

My brother-in-law bought a couple of 409 engines all rebuilt and ready to install in an Impala one of these days.

Fun cars to work on. Big too!

:)