Mike Phillips BIG 3-day detailing classes

Acura RDX and 3D Speed

TMQ

Just done this over the past weekend.
The RDX was hammered!
Did the usual iron removal and clay bar stuff.

Hit it with Speed, Rupes yellow pads with moderate to fast movements. Maybe 3 or 4 passes and then moved on.

Finished the entire job--washed/decontamination and buffing job in 5 1/2 hours! This is a new record for me!

Pictures!

Attachments

• IMG_3641.jpeg
    IMG_3641.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3643.jpeg
    IMG_3643.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3644.jpeg
    IMG_3644.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3651.jpeg
    IMG_3651.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3653.jpeg
    IMG_3653.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3655.jpeg
    IMG_3655.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3658.jpeg
    IMG_3658.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3659.jpeg
    IMG_3659.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3660.jpeg
    IMG_3660.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3664.jpeg
    IMG_3664.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3665.jpeg
    IMG_3665.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3667.jpeg
    IMG_3667.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Mike Phillips

Global Director of Training
Staff member
Finished the entire job--washed/decontamination and buffing job in 5 1/2 hours!

This is a new record for me!

That's fast Tom but with SPEED and a FLEX BEAST you can do what I call, high quality production detailing.

I have a Lincoln Nautilus in the garage right now with HORRIBLE water spots from a sprinkler. After the sprinkler went off, they baked in the Florida sun!

Will be using 505 Correction Glaze as I think this water spot removal project is going to need the extra cut.

Here's a close-up

full

:)

TMQ

Be watching this one.

Just did a Tahoe with water etching. Wasn't able to get it all out. Used microfiber pads with Blackfire One step. Got a lot of it out.

Me thinks it could've been better.

Will be watching this!

Tom

Mike Phillips

Staff member
This pictures shows the extreme gloss you can create white paint using great abrasive technology.

img_3660-jpeg.2079

Well done.

RickyPetite

Mike, Can you comment on which DA pads to use with Speed? For example: Daily driver, good paint condition, need light correction (water spots, light swirls). I use Lake Country pads on a Griot's DA. If I use an orange (light cutting) pad, I would anticipate good correction but less than ideal polishing. If I use a green or blue (polishing) pad, I would expect good polishing but not much correction. Thx

Mike Phillips

Staff member
Mike, Can you comment on which DA pads to use with Speed? For example: Daily driver, good paint condition, need light correction (water spots, light swirls). I use Lake Country pads on a Griot's DA. If I use an orange (light cutting) pad, I would anticipate good correction but less than ideal polishing. If I use a green or blue (polishing) pad, I would expect good polishing but not much correction. Thx

End results depend on,

First - Paint hardness or paint softness.
Second - Depth of the defects.

Here's the BIG PICTURE idea. If the job is a ONE step AIO - then before starting - explain to the customer that you don't always get 100% defect removal or 100% paint correction when doing a one-step with an AIO.

If a customer wants maximum paint correction then be happy to offer this serice but it will probably require a full-on, dedicated compounding step.

Thus when using an AIO with the idea being to ONLY buff the car one time - use a light foam cutting pad or a foam polishing pad and whatever you get is what you get for a ONE-STEP product and process.

Make sense?

And of course - do a Test Spot first.

AMP8424

That's fast Tom but with SPEED and a FLEX BEAST you can do what I call, high quality production detailing.

I have a Lincoln Nautilus in the garage right now with HORRIBLE water spots from a sprinkler. After the sprinkler went off, they baked in the Florida sun!

Will be using 505 Correction Glaze as I think this water spot removal project is going to need the extra cut.

Here's a close-up

full

So would you hit this entire paint with Water Spot Remover, then correct, or just go straight to correction?

Mike Phillips

Staff member
So would you hit this entire paint with Water Spot Remover, then correct, or just go straight to correction?

No. The "rings" you see are ETCHED into the paint. No wipe-on chemical will abrade and level the paint to remove water spots or more accurate = water etchings.

I did fix this car but I compounded it HARD with 3D 510 and a wool pad on a rotary polisher followed by a foam pad and 3D SPEED. Customer only wanted the front clip cleaned up so that's all I did.