3D Ceramic Coating 2017 Infiniti QX30 - Road Film Traffic Paint Dirt Staining

Mike Phillips

Global Director of Training
Staff member
3D Ceramic Coating 2017 Infiniti QX30 - Road Film Traffic Paint Dirt Staining

2017 Infiniti protected with 3D Ceramic Paint Coating and 3D Ceramic Touch on the glass and wheels

full

This last Saturday we did a dry-run, or rather a wet-run to test out the Wash Bay in the new 3D Training Center. I'm happy to say, everything is set-up perfect for teaching classes including washing cars inside, out of the hot Florida sunshine and also out of the HOT MOIST Florida humidity. It's not so bad outside this time of year but by the time we get to our February, May and September classes, and anytime we're creating new content that involves washing anything, it's nice to be able to do the wet work inside in an fully air-conditioned garage. :)

The last time I coated this car was in June of 2020. Since then I've only run this car through touchless washes here in Stuart, my hometown. It's time for a full exterior detail including,

1. Machine scrubbing tires.
  2. Clean wheels.
  3. Wash car.
  4. Mechanically decontaminate the paint.
  5. Machine paint correction.
  6. Machine polish all glass including sunroof.
  7. Chemically stripping using 3D WIPE.
  8. Installing 3D Ceramic Coating to the paint.
  9. Installing 3D Ceramic Touch to the glass and wheels.

Road Film - Traffic Film - Paint Staining - Dirty Paint

For decades I've been teaching and explaining to people that if their car (or customer's car), is a daily driver, this means parked outside for some portion of each day, (perhaps all day, every day), and especially if the car is located in a geographical location where it rains - then the paint is going to get a build-up of road film or traffic film ON the paint. Not just sitting on the surface but IMPACTED onto the paint.

The lesson is, over time, paint gets dirty and it's not the kind of dirt staining that washes off - it must be mechanically abraded off the surface. I'll explain more when we get to the pictures.

I didn't take a lot of pictures as I needed to get the job done in a timely manner. Here's the pictures I did take in the order I took them.

First - here's two SUVs in the wash bay, side-by-side with PLENTY of room to wash and work on both vehicles at the same time.

full

full

HUGE thank you to Doug and Luan at Grit Guard for sponsoring our detailing classes by sending us one of their Grit Guard Universal Detailing cart. I LOVE these carts. They hold my wash bucket at waist level so no bending over and over and over again when washing your car. Plus they hold all your car washing tools and products.

full

The tires were gross with road film but cleaned-up real good with a brush on a cordless FLEX PE14. We'll be carrying everything you see in these pictures at our new 3D store here in the heart of Stuart, Florida. Plus when you shop with us in Stuart or anywhere, you have access to yours truly for questions, tips and techniques.

full

This how you clean your brush in-between scrubbings - let the brush clean itself - you just add water.

full

3D Foaming Waterless Car Wash works great for those times you don't have access to running water. You can also use it as a pre-soak for light soiling. 3D actually makes a dedicated pre-soak product for washing cars called 3D Super Pre-Soak. I would have used it for this wash except we're still waiting for our shipment of products from the 3D manufacturing plant in California. Stay tuned - it will be here next week.

full

Paint Correction

I had a guy call me and ask me,

Mike, what's paint correction?

I explained to him it's basically the new marketing term for NORMAL procedures like compounding and polishing paint. I explained the marketing term is working because it confused him to the point to call me and ask what the term means. Once I explained paint correction is nothing new under the sun he laughed. The detailing industry, or more specifically the people in the detailing industry, me included, tend to be OCD and this leads to taking things that SHOULD be simple and over-complicating them - changing terms is just one example.

In the picture below you can see the 3D ONE Hybrid Compound/Polish is still on the hood as I have not wiped it off yet. Instead, after polishing the hood I took a brand new white foam polishing pad and placed it next to the used brand new white polishing pad so you can see the dramatic color difference in the pads.

full

The brownish dirt color you see on the pad on the right is the ROAD FILM that buffed off the paint and built-up onto the pad. I only buffed the hood and look how much dirt staining was removed.

full

Here you can see the dirt staining, what I've always called ROAD FILM, has actually seeped INTO the pad after just buffing the hood.

full

full

Here's some close-ups of the road film in the pores of the foam. And keep this in mind - this dirty road film came off the paint AFTER I had previously washed the car and also used the 3D Detailing Clay
Towel over the entire car and also the glass. This means the color you see, which represent the road film - was ABRADED off the paint. Washing and claying would not and would not remove road film.

full

full

full

Here's the after results...

full

full

full

full

The bottle of 3D Ceramic Coating is out of focus because the car is in focus.

full

Here's some of the products I used..

full

full

3D Ceramic Coating was used on the paint - 3D Ceramic Touch was used on the glass and wheels.

full

I cut out a tiny square of microfiber towel to apply and spread the 3D Ceramic Touch over the wheels. I used the 3D Magic Blue Dressing to restore a beautiful, deep dark black appearance to the tires. I really like this product if I'm not going to use a tire coating.

full

full

full

full

full

One down... so many more cars to go as we kick the new 3D Garage into HIGH GEAR!

Comments and questions always appreciated. Thank you for looking.

:)

Last edited:

Dominic T

Wow - the gloss on this is off the charts. Very impressive.

One coat of the 3D ceramic topped with spray ceramic, or 2 coats of the 3D ceramic followed by a spray ceramic coat?

Mike Phillips

Global Director of Training
Staff member
Wow - the gloss on this is off the charts. Very impressive.

One coat of the 3D ceramic topped with spray ceramic, or 2 coats of the 3D ceramic followed by a spray ceramic coat?

I did 2 coats of 3D Ceramic Coating on the hood and front clip. Only one application of 3D Ceramic Coating on the rest of the body panels.

I used 3D Ceramic Touch on all the glass, even the roof glass and the wheels.

:)